Sunday, January 16, 2011

On the Page Again

Just got notified that my short story, "The Stronger," will be published this Spring in the 2011 edition of the Bacopa Literary Review, a print journal out of Gainesville, FL. 

"The Stronger" is the title story of my 4-story collection that I privately call the Papaw Project.  Back in 2007, I found stashed carefully in a trunk several short memoir story-sketches my grandfather had written in the 1930s, sketches which thinly fictionalized his family legends and his own experiences growing up as a bookish farm boy in Southern Indiana just before World War I.

Some quality of half-seen treasure in these sketches called out to me, the middle-aged granddaughter.  I chose four of them and took the fictionalizing further.  Fiction is not only the lie that tells the truth, it is the lie that reveals the truth.  I have now finished 2 stories, am rewriting a third, with the fourth in outline, waiting.

And now the title story will see the light of day!  Thank you, Bacopa Literary Review!  I will be back here with more information about where this journal can be purchased.

No comments:

Post a Comment