Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Somewhere on the Misty Mountain

... is my junior-high memory of reading "The Hobbit."

Of course by now everyone knows that Peter Jackson's movie (or at least Part I of it) will be out a year from now (those evil marketers, dangling this in front of all the fans!).

Now, "The Hobbit" was not one of my favorite-ever reads.  I kept waiting for the "good part" that my friend had promised me when she loaned me the book.  I turned the last page and wondered what the "good part" had been, and why did I miss it.

Looking at this trailer, I cannot for the life of me remember what the journey into Mirkwood was for, or who was along besides Gandalf and Bilbo.  All that really stuck with me was Bilbo getting the Elven short sword, and naming it Sting (couldn't listen to the Police, ever, without remembering that).  And that there was a dragon named Smaug. 

And, of course, the REAL delight - Bilbo finding the Ring, meeting Gollum, and the riddle game.

"What hassss it got in its pocketssssessss?"

The "Hobbit" trailer sets up the Company, but not the Quest.  And it emphasizes the discovery of the Ring.  So I guess they figure a good portion of their audience is pretty much in my position.

For the record, I did swing passionately through the LOTR books during high school!  So I'm not a total jerk.

No comments:

Post a Comment